Autonomic Nervous System Exam

Questions.

Question 1.

Which of the following is incorrect?

  • a) Skeletal muscle in the somatic efferent system is innovated by nicotinic receptors
  • b) For blood vessels in the sympathetic system, the preganlion releases ACh to bind to nicotinic receptors. The post ganglion releases nor adrenaline
  • c) For sweat glands in the sympathetic nervous system, the preganlion releases ACh to bind to nACh receptors. The post ganglion releases ACh to bind to mACh receptors
  • d) For salivery glands in the parasympathetic nervous system, the preganlion releases ACh to bind to nACh receptors. The post ganglion releases ACh to bind to mACh receptors
  • e) The adrenal medulla is has a mACh receptor

Question 2.

The parasympathetic nervous system is composed of?

  • a) The Cranial and sacral outflow
  • b) The thoracic and lumbar outflow
  • c) The thoracic and sacral outflow
  • d) The cranial and sacral outflow

Question 3.

The 10th cranial nerve is apart of the craniosacral outflow, which of the following does it not innovate

  • a) Heart
  • b) Lung
  • c) Upper GI tract
  • d) Liver

Question 4.

Which of the following statements is false

  • a) The ciliary muscle in the eye is only innovated by the parasympathetic nervous system
  • b) Sweat glands are only innovated by the parasympathetic nervous system
  • c) The parasympathetic nervous system results in bradycardia and the sympathetic nervous system results in tachy cardia

Question 5.

Identify the incorrect statement for the 5 subtypes of ACh receptors

  • a) Muscarinic 1 receptor has the g protein q to increase PLC, resulting in salivary and gastric acid secretion
  • b) Muscarinic 2 receptor has the g protein i/o to decrease AC, resulting in bradycardia
  • c) Muscarinic 3 receptor has the g protein q decreasing PLC, resulting in pupillary constriction in the eye.

Question 6.

The pathway of synthesis of adrenaline is: (arrange in correct order)

i) Tyrosine ii) Dopamine iii) Adrenaline iv) Nor adrenaline v) DOPA

  • a) i, iv, v, ii, iii
  • b) iv, i, v, ii, iii
  • c) v, i, ii, iii, iv
  • d) i, v, ii, iv, iii

Question 7.

Adrenergic receptors are innovated by adrenaline, which of the following is incorrect regarding the division of adrenergic receptors

  • a) α1 resulting in vasoconstriction due to Gα/q increasing neurotransmitter PLC
  • b) α2 inhibition of transmitter release resulting in Gα/i decreasing AC neurotransmitter
  • c) β1 resulting in an increased rate and force of contraction of heart due to Gα/s increasing AC
  • d) β2 resulting in the relaxation of smooth muscle due to Gα/s resulting in a decrease of AC
  • e) β3 resulting in relaxation of bladder smooth muscle due to Gα/s resulting in an increase of AC

Question 8.

A patient comes to you with a racing heart, they have been consuming a β2 antagonist, which is starting to act as a β1 antagonist as well? [3 marks]

Question 9.

A patient with a slow heart was prescribed a β1 agonist, which is starting to have off target effects on β3 receptors. What is the expected consequence of this? [3 marks]

Question 10.

True or false:

75% of noradrenaline is recycled, through norepinephrine transporters (NET), the other 25% is broken down by MAO and COMT.

Answers.

  1. e
  2. a – The thoracolumbar is the sympathetic nervous system
  3. d
  4. b
  5. c
  6. d
  7. d, β2 resulting in the relaxation of smooth muscle due to Gα/s resulting in a decrease of AC
  8. Bradycardia
  9. More frequent urge to urinate
  10. True

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: