- Equilibrium Questions & Haber Process
- When evaluating an industrial chemical synthesis process, consider the following factors:
- availability of reagents, reaction conditions, yield and purity
- industrial uses (eg pharmaceutical, cosmetics, cleaning products, fuels)
- environmental, social and economic issues
Potential Short Answer Q`uestions
Exam type 5 markers
Explain the conditions used in the haber process. [5 marks]
Evaluate the contribution of the haber process to society [5 marks]
The contact process is used for the synthesis of sulfuric acid, note you haven’t learnt this in class and this question requires you to apply your understanding.
Justify the requirements for a plant which would be used for the above contact process. [5 marks]
2017 HSC Chemistry
- Demonstrate understanding of reaction rate and % yield
La chatliers principle
- Adding reactant (shift equilibrium position to right)
- Remove product (shift equilibrium position to right)
- Pressure is high, 200 atm (shift equilibrium position to right) – financial cost of high pressure
- Temperature is lower, 450 degrees celsius → balancing point between yield and reaction rate
- Catalyst is present, iron catalyst, increases rate of forward and reverse equally by lowering activation energy
- Balance with temp, high enough for fast reaction as said above
2016 HSC Chemistry
- At time 2 mins dynamic equilibrium first reached, the concentration of reagents and products first plateau, since the forward and reverse reaction rates are equal.
- Increasing temperature, increased reactants and reduced products, therefore, increasing temp increased reverse reaction. Therefore, forward reaction is exothermic. Reverse decomposition is endothermic.
Multiple Choice To Check Your understanding.
|2020 HSC Answers|
|2019 HSC Answers|
|2017 HSC Answers|